50% of employees said they were treated uncivilly within the past week. The cost of that incivility is expensive when you consider that customers are 4x more likely to walk away from your company if they witness public rudeness among your employees. Here’s the resources I used for those statistics and where you will find a treasure chest of great information about how incivility may be effecting your workplace and your bottom line.
LISTEN TO THIS: HBR Ideacast titled: The High Cost of Rudeness at Work. (It’s about 14 minutes of pure gold.) You’ll learn that your team members are 30% less creative than others and produce 25% less ideas when they feel they have been treated rudely.
READ THIS: The Price of Incivility. (article from this month’s Harvard Business Review) See stats below on the effects and costs to you of rudeness in your workplace.
- 48% intentionally decreased their work effort.
- 47% intentionally decreased the time spent at work.
- 38% intentionally decreased the quality of their work.
- 80% lost work time worrying about the incident.
- 63% lost work time avoiding the offender.
- 66% said that their performance declined.
- 78% said that their commitment to the organization declined.
- 12% said that they left their job because of the uncivil treatment.
- 25% admitted to taking their frustration out on customers.
Finding ways to treat your team as legitimate others along with learning the 4 to 1 ratio rule of 4 doses of appreciation for every one dose of correction which can go a long way to having a highly functional and effective team.
Remind yourself and others about what goes RIGHT each day, because so much does!
I am feeling a little guilty as I ran today in 74 degree temperatures at my parents home in Boynton Beach, FL. So many of my friends are sprinting in fleece this morning back in Roanoke. I am taking a moment to write new content for our programs and take a needed break. It’s a great time to just pause and think and yeah, it’s gorgeous here!
Thank you for your support and encouragement as we find new and evolving ways to take you from good to great and transform your lives as leaders.